Good ideas to plan ahead for storing.
- Start by making a list of the items you plan to store.
- Group the items according to how you will organize them.
- Identify items that will be packed in boxes and stacked.
- Prioritize boxed items you will want to access most frequently (they’ll go closer to the front of the unit).
- Group by fragility or weight – heavier, sturdier items should be stored on the bottom of stacked items, fragile items on top.
- Consider awkwardly-sized items that won’t stack well, including how often you will need to use them, and how heavy they are.
- Make note of how these items will be packed and organized.
- Boxes and containers should be of uniform size.
- Boxes and containers should be stacked no more than three or four-high, depending on the size and strength of the containers you use.
- For your convenience, we sell boxes and packing supplies at our offices.
Helpful storage tips.
Visit our storage units to get a visual sense of the space you will be working with.
Our expert staff will be happy to answer any questions you may have, and give you tips on how to store your items to maximize space.
- Always use a good quality lock on your door.
- For your convenience, we sell disk locks at our offices.
- Keep your key or combination in a safe place.
- Be sure your door and lock are closed properly.
- Be careful what you store.
- Do not store anything combustible or toxic (i.e., paint. gasoline, propane, paint thinner, etc.).
- Do not store food or other perishable items.
- Plan and manage your space.
- Place often used items near the front of the unit.
- Leave a walkway to the rear.
- Cover items to keep dust off your valuables.
- Keep an inventory list at home in a safe place.
- Use drawers to store delicate and fragile items.
- Other storage tips to remember.
- Label boxes, place heaviest on the bottom.
- Remove legs from tables to save space.
- Treat antique wood surfaces before storing.
- For auto storage, disconnect your battery.